Saturday, September 05, 2009

Sydney Fish Market


There is no way that we'll leave Sydney without going to its famed Fish Market.

As much as we wanted to be the bright-eyed visitors at 7am in the morning, we couldn't stomach the thought of so much raw seafood this early in the day. We settled for brunch at 11am.

There was raw fish- chunks of tuna belly and salmon belly. The knife skills sucked. The fish was cut across the grain and we knew they weren't the best cut. I was sure it wouldn't even be termed as sashimi. However, both fish were nothing but fresh, so the huge strips chopped into ugly squares were eaten.

The tiny salty Coffin Bay and Lake Wallis oysters didn't go down so well. The friends preferred the creamier Pacific oysters. The boys merrily quaffed down about 25 each, sprinkled with just lemon juice- no tabasco or anything else. Crazy man. I refused to join them. I don't eat oysters much. At this volume, my stomach already churned at the sight of those huge trays on the table. I wouldn't be able to stomach more than 2. Eeeeps.

I didn't mind the fish and chips. They kinda lined the stomach for all the raw stuff. But the bulk of my stomach space was reserved for lobsters. Meaty and full of roe, I ate one lobster by myself and seriously considered having another.

There was something incredibly relaxing about sitting outdoors in brilliant sunshine with temperatures at a comfortable 17 degrees celcius, eating that really huge brunch spread. We sat for hours enjoying the fantastic company and laughter.

6 comments:

dsowerg said...

I love oysters!!! Send them in!!!

*gobbles them up*

sinlady said...

i did the deli at fish market. couldn't imagine eating raw seafood there. presentation sucks.

Jo said...

Woah!! I would go to Sydney just for this! I'm experiencing pangs of hunger (and envy!)!!

Unknown said...

I have to agree their presentation really leaves nothing to be tempted for but I was lured by the freshness and nothing but the freshness... good cheap wine, oysters, sashimi,cheese and I'm a happy girl.to bad there wasn't sea urchin in sight in July :(

imp said...

eveline: yea! you like 'em!

sinlady: heh. yes. it's a market totally! most people buy them home! only us silly tourists sit there!

jomel: heheh. go melbourne lah. it's kinda nicer culture overall.

livia: very very fresh. we had sea urchin. but the standard sucks. nowhere near the uni that we like.

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

jealous!!! Me want oysters :) I've fond memories of Sydney's fish market. Best oysters I've had though are Bluff Oysters in NZ. Yums :) Enjoy the rest of your trip!