Sunday, June 03, 2012

A Royal Presentation

I enjoy hanging out with Ivan and M. The logistics of setting a date, sorting out the type of food, whether we would be late, timing, etc... awesomely pain-free and in sync. We don't like similar kinds of food, but there're commonalities. We share certain fundamental values which mean that we could get beyond being acquaintances to become friends. Both are great foodies, and it's important that they know their food, but never come across as high-handed or presumptuous to me. Eating with them isn't pressurizing and it's always a lot of fun. We could do other stuff, but if M. ends up with bruises on her arms, she might un-friend us for 3 days. Heh. Ivan, in his usual efficiency and chivalry, generously invited us over for a very special lunch, and sorted out the menu thoroughly. He cooked everything, most of it from scratch, like what all pedantic and serious home chefs do. (Nothing to do with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.)

We began with welcome sips of Ivan's brew of cold oolong-chrysanthum tea. On the way to Ivan's, the man sheepishly told me, "I'm really excited about lunch!" So was I! The stomachs quivered in excitement at the thought of ingesting all the goodness to be brought to the table. WOOT. I'm not sure what was the main of the day. They could all be mains for me. I can't decide which was the star as well. Everything was sterling. We began with S's refreshing salad of basil tofu with gorgonzola Fourme d’Ambert, which was exceptionally pleasing on a hot day. I was sooo happy that she didn't use feta in it. I've come to not quite like feta as much nowadays.

I secretly wished that there was more of the lightly cured hamachi with furikake and edamame wasabi sauce. Initially, my eyes grew wide when Ivan said he used a dash of Sichuan pepper to cure the fish. I was like, what!!! You know how I feel towards that numbing sensation of Sichuan pepper. Upon first bite, thankfully, it was not too discernible. Just a dash of that in the aftertaste. It was delicious. Sashimi-like, I could eat A LOT of it. The nasu gratin with miso tofu sauce was heartily appetizing. Nom nom nom. Cheese included. Cheese and miso, a surprisingly savory combination. However, in view of the day's menu, more crunch within this dish would add some bite to it. Tough for the nasu to remain firm in view of the high heat baked in a ramekin. Potatoes are boring. Chestnuts perhaps?


Ivan tweeted, "I predict a slight shower of mushrooms today in the early afternoon around lunch time." Couldn't say no to mushrooms, many varieties oven-baked in lemon butter sauce! Since the chef really wanted to know, I'll venture to say...ummm....less oil please! Yummy things. There was a splendid uni pasta. I regret not getting Osetra caviar to top it. While the taste of the faux-caviar-non-fish-roe Arënkha tasted okay, there wasn't enough oomph of pop and salt (brine) that the actual caviar would provide. There was bread. A sleek dark rye and a giant loaf glob of semolina. Uni butter on toast? Brilliant idea, Ivan. We were so stuffed, but we had to eat it. It was divine.

The first bite of M's pear and hazelnut cake elicited a delighted squeal from me. It came with dark chocolate sauce. (Was it the Valrhona Araguani you used?) Sugar had clearly been brutally reduced, and the cake wasn't the least bit cloying. Most of the sweetness came from the slices of pears. Nom nom nom. I let the ice-cream melt. Not into it, so just a touch of the vanilla bean to complement the flavors would do.

Whisky. Definitely. Never mind that it was 3pm in the afternoon. It's been a while since I last had anything from Tullibardine. So I had 2 long drams of the 1993 (bottled in 2008) in sherry wood finish. Mmmmm. Lovely end to the meal. What a comfortable and lavish afternoon of food, drinks and easy laughter. On Trinity Sunday. Thank you so much, gentleman, and lady, and lovely partners.

2 comments:

Lady J said...

My my that menu looks mighty impressive! Everything sounds and looks so delicious!! :)

imp said...

ladyJ: it's gorgeous, including the thought that went into preparing the stock and base ingredients.