Thursday, February 28, 2013

Baan Ying Signature

I'm very iffy about eating at restaurants around Siam Square. It's just...not very satisfying. So if I'm stuck in the area, I depend on the friends for a recommendation to somewhere...un-touristy. The friends took me to Baan Ying Signature (บ้านหญิง ซิกเนเจอร์) for a fantabulous dinner. Oddly, considering that the eatery was located in a prime spot in Siam Square (a few streets from Baan Khun Mae to boot), I was the only tourist dining there that evening. Heh.

Gregarious owner Khun Ying took such good care of our table, and catered to our different food preferences. The kitchen delivered a never-ending stream of plates to our table. Food was awesomely spicy, pungent and totally satisfying. Homecooked flavors aplenty, but with a contemporary touch without doing anything fusion-y. There's another new casual cafe nearby, but I guess most of the friends don't bother about that and simply stick to this one. They had dok kajon (ดอกขจร) on the menu too, and available that evening we went. Of course I had to have that! Stuffed my face so full of steamed rice laden with curries and sauces. Completely overate and unrepentant.

Second Bar's 'Siam Passion'.

Then we went upstairs to Baan Ying's sister bar called Second Bar. Superbly decent bar bites available on the menu where solid food was offered instead of paltry chips. Think sea bass fillets. The friends insisted that the thing to order was a cocktail called 'Siam Passion'. Damn corny lor. When the drink came, I almost died. Thought the entire drink was that gigantic. When the dry ice stopped pouring out its fumes, I took the slim glass out of the bowl for a proper drink. Even so, it held a ridiculous amount of alcohol. For me, this was an absolute killer- it contained gin. I could only sip it slowly, and take no more than one glass. Luckily, it was a sour-ish refreshing sort of mixture rather than sweet. Don't like sweet cocktails. Eioowww.

Well, these friends have really mellowed. While the partying hasn't exactly toned down, the drinking (of alcohol) has. You couldn't imagine how relieved I was to just have one cocktail and nicely ended the night all before 11pm.

Baan Ying Signature (บ้านหญิง ซิกเนเจอร์)
414/18-19 Rama I Road, Siam Square (Henri Dunant Road) 
Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
T: +66 (0) 2 658 4403

No comments: