Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My 10-day Cooking 'Reservist'

MINDEF can call it 'in-camp training' (ICT), 'NSmen' or whatever. But I'm too used to the usage of 'reservist'. The man was called up for one final ICT. For a duration of two weeks. The last one in his compulsory 10-year cycle. THE LAST ONE. That calls for a celebration. I've got rather mixed feelings about this compulsory military training National Service thing. All in all, thank goodness the man is done.

He had to get to the army camp by 6am. This early, he's kinda peckish, but not hungry. He could cook, but it's just too troublesome when he was already sianz. SO. I decided to be very nice and sorted out his breakfast for 10 days. Solidarity lah. Every morning, the food was ready by 4.50am. Zzzzzz. I dislike cooking. But I can do it if I have to, even if it means waking up at 4am to prep ingredients. The logistics of meal-planning had to be sorted out prior since there would only be 30 minutes to ready the food. 35 minutes max. And five minutes for photo-taking. Heh. Did it with no help, not even for slicing, stirring, washing of vegetables or whatever. It's too bloody early for anyone else to do this.

Century egg tofu; granola and muesli with dried figs.

Made a mixture of hot and cold breakfasts. Avoided overnight oats or oatmeal-anything because he takes those on normal days. Did eggs still, but with a twist (think Scotch eggs using veal) and a side of something else for flavor and texture. Poached eggs are the easiest, served with a side of sautéed-something. It's not difficult when logistics and steps had been thought through the night before. At one point while randomly googling for recipes, I chanced upon M's post of century egg tofu (Pidan tofu, 皮蛋豆腐). Fantastic. The man loves pidan tofu. Assembling ingredients into an edible plate is what I do best. Swopped out the mix of sauces though. Not keen on oyster sauce or sesame oil. Used a mix of shoyu, dashimirin and cold-pressed walnut oil. Pidan tofu for breakfast and lunch should taste different. Just change the ingredients. The man loves his coriander and spring onions, so that explained the pile of greens pictured above.

Ermm...no recipes. I don't record these things, I don't cook with precise measurements; a pinch, a dash, a dollop, a drip. Whatever remembered would be added; pepper and salt for sure. Spices. Those stuff are like a given. Brainless right? Staples in most dishes! Recipes from books and online are read but never followed. They're used for inspiration and referred to for special little tricks to up the game. It's not baking or making pasties or something, which requires precision. I really don't like handling raw meats or even fish. I keep a vegetarian kitchen mostly, don't like cooking for picky eaters, and disapprove of sweet breakfasts. i.e, no French toast, waffles or pancakes. Luckily the man likes his food, and doesn't mind most things for breakfast so long they aren't oily or comprise plain carbs.

Sautéed portobello mushrooms with homemade spicy pesto;
salad of pumpkin, quinoa and pomegranate arils. 

I think everyone's suitably impressed by my time spent at 'culinary academy' in Norway. HAHAHAHAHA. Yes- loads of recent practice. Mainly I've finicky tastebuds. I'll know what I want to taste on a plate and a rough idea of how to do it; all a matter of the hands doing what the brain wants. This would mark the FIRST TIME IN THE MAN'S LIFE THAT IMPIE HAS COOKED A MEAL FOR HIM. I think the man is a little stunned. All breakfasts were easy to execute. The man didn't complain or get the runs. :P But I'm damn happy that reservist is over. OVER. I don't need to wake up at 4am anymore to do something that I don't particularly enjoy.

Of course I'm not posting photos of all breakfasts. Just these few that I bothered to grab the camera for a couple of shots. Plated every breakfast. That would be one attraction to cheer the man on his daily treks to boondocks. One of the most elaborate hot food done would be this beef, kale and avocado wrap served with a side of Sicilian olives and walnuts. Apparently he really liked it. Ookies. Now that this ICT is well and truly over, my '10-day Cooking Reservist' is done too. YAYYY. HANGING UP MY SAUCEPAN NOW.

11 comments:

h o b o m o b o said...

That's really sweet and goodness! The variety! The colours! The man is a lucky man.

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing those meals and so creative too!

imp said...

hobomobo + ladyJ : I won't be so enthusiastic if it had been more than 10 consecutive days! Hahahah.

jo said...

Wah! I'm super duper impressed! And to think you whipped up 10 different types of breakfast meals too! Good job, imp! hehe.

imp said...

Jo: heeeeee. Since i cook like...once in 3 years or something. :P

Anonymous said...

Wah, you bothered to plate at 4+ in the morning! My poor kiddos eat from the pot. Hee, hee.....

imp said...

supercoati: once in a blue moon here!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you! This is love.. :D

imp said...

fern: heh. :)

D said...

impressive! especially the wrap! i can never cook anything new without a recipe!

imp said...

D: I'm too lazy to follow a recipe. :) I bought the wholemeal wrap though- 6 in a pack. I didn't try to like stir flour and stuff to make the flat wraps. Oof.