Saturday, July 16, 2016

蘿蔔燜牛腩

It was a debate of sorts that started off because I spotted beef tripe and tendon at the supermarket which looked really good. I bought them for the man to cook his dependable beef stew. He wilfully and imperiously insisted that I cook said pot of beef stew. Excuse me, I've never cooked beef stew in my life. What made him think I would want do it?!

Then the man came back with a jar of chu hou paste (柱侯醬). "Could you cook it the Hong Kong style? The stewed tripe sort of idea? Oh, then can you make sambal matah to go along with it too?" WHUUT. That was too much!!! OKAY. FINE. Whatever. No issues with sambal matah. I could make that with my eyes closed. It was the Cantonese-style beef stew (蘿蔔燜牛腩) that was a hassle. It wasn't that difficult but dohhhhh. The man has learnt to make demands that I cook food. THIS IS NO GOOD.  有冇攪錯啊!


Smelt and tasted the chu hou paste (柱侯醬). Never used it and not familiar with this brand. Hmmm. I mostly use Amoy (淘大) but the larder is out of it. I don't really like this one from Lee Kum Kee. It lacks that specific taste I'm looking for. 瓶子裡沒含有那種‘醬香’。It's as though they didn't put enough fermented soy beans in it. No choice. It's the only one stocked at the local supermarkets. Never mind. I'll get a jar from Hong Kong at some point.

Cantonese-style beef stew doesn't require carrots or onions. It only needs daikon. But I always include carrots anyway. I don't fancy fermented red beancurd (紅南乳) or five-spice powder (五香粉) in mine. The key ingredient I didn't have is dried orange peel. ARRRRGGGH. Replaced that with uhhh orange zest and thin slices of oranges. Kinda worked lah. The final pot didn't taste too bad. Every ingredient was tender. Even the tripe. SCORE. I like my stew to have a mixture of tripe, tendon, brisket, shin and oxtail. #impieCooks2016

Enjoy it, dearest husband. *drips with sarcasm* It'll be a loooong while before I agree to food demands again.

No comments: