Thursday, March 02, 2017

Lent Begins

I began Ash Wednesday with a long swim early in the morning. Those laps gave me the space for deep reflection before stepping into Lent. Getting in exercise sessions isn't just for the purpose of keeping fit. It's also to create head space to find the equanimity I need in managing... deaths, illnesses, life and the business of living.

I don't have a habit of journaling daily or during Lent or Advent. I simply do the daily devotionals and readings for the week. Neither do I dwell on issues that can resolved by logic and reason alone, or be managed by penances that don't involve self-flagellation. In the first place, contemplation and consideration should always lead all decisions and words, no? We have our own crosses to bear. This is the season of penitential activities. 40 days. What kind of self-discipline do I have this year?

I slipped into church at noon yesterday and sat quietly at mass, hoping that this holy season will be a time of grace for me and the mad mad mad world.

"Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return." 

No comments: