Friday, September 22, 2017

Loads of Champagne


Went to R's party for his 40th birthday and farewell (he's relocating) at Beast & Butterflies at M Social Hotel. Giggled at the giant bottles of champagne and red wine. (They would be empty by the end of the night.) The champagne was delicious! Had about six happy glasses! The red wine looked promisimg too, but I had an early morning start scheduled, so no matter how curious I was about the red wine, I prudently stuck to champagne all night.

Of course I ate. Loads. Had to balance out all that bubbly! The servers came around with canapés. At the buffet table, there were other selections of food. I took vegetables, fish, and a pilaf of sorts, and also shamelessly ate many samosas (stopped counting at the sixth) and piled heaps of mango salad on the plate.

Didn't know the rest of the guests; neither did I 'work the room' since I'm never inclined to. At a friendly party like this, one could trust serendipity. As the night went on, a number of lovely chats with a few nice people simply happened. As the venue got noisier, we had to chat above the volume of the not-too-bad house band. I love asking questions. It's a lot more fun associating new faces with their hobbies, or interesting recent experiences rather than their jobs (there's Linkedin for that). By the end of the night, I tend to end up knowing many details about people, more than they'd know of me. 🙃

No comments: