Friday, October 13, 2017

Gattopardo & Friends: Lino Sauro X Darryl Martin


The friends signed us up for a four-hands cookout with Darryl Martin of Barzaari (Sydney, Australia) and Gattopardo Ristorante's Lino Sauro. A six-course menu (including dessert) was to be served at dinner. I opted out of wine-pairing. Seven wines would be too much, and I'm really not particularly hot about wine and food together. It would be completely wasted on me. And an expected grueling pilates session the next morning meant I should steer clear of alcohol.

The starter was pretty appetizing- cured kingfish with red onions, toasted sesame and black fig gel. The duck leg pastilla with sticky date, BBQ cos and sesame was delicious. Of course I looked forward to the pasta. It certainly didn't disappoint. Loved the homemade egg tagliolini with fresh sea urchin sauce. It was soooo good.

I wasn't too fond of the pan-roasted Kuhlbarra barramundi on Israeli couscous in tahini, crisp buckwheat bread. Well, the fish was excellent, but I'm not hot about Israeli couscous and definitely don't like tahini mixed into it. By the time the beef arrived as the last savory course, the stomach couldn't accommodate it anymore. Too much food. Slow-cooked beef shin with thribi and garlic pita, herbs and pickles. Gave it away to the friends who were more than happy to eat my portion. Dessert was interesting, that was why I took three bites of it. Pistachio cake with bitter orange, blossom, kataifi, and vanilla ice-cream.

Said fabulous egg tagliolini with fresh sea urchin sauce.

No comments: