Sunday, November 19, 2017

再見啦香港!


It's always lovely to walk through the streets of Hong Kong. There's something familiar and yet different about them. I might be mistaken, but the city's vibes have distinctly changed. Especially downtown. The crowds and the palpable vibes on week days and weekends.

Wherever I go downtown, nobody addresses me in English or Japanese anymore. They speak to me in Mandarin. Not even Cantonese. That's not really odd, all things considered. Plus my face, clearly Asian. The suburbs feel more unchanged. Developing, of course, more new estates, buildings, et cetera. It feels like the Hong Kong I've always known. But since my last visit, the city has already shifted significantly in terms of demography and all. I guess what I'm trying to say is, Hong Kong today doesn't feel very different from Shenzhen or Guangzhou. Sure, each city has got its distinguishing characteristics, but they now feel similar. Perhaps it's just me and my feelings. Someone else would have a different opinion.

It was wonderful to stroll through streets with a camera. No specific aim but to just shoot wherever possible and appropriate, and would not incur wrath. The camera lens could always pick out the street scenes it wants to capture. When I finally uploaded those photos, I saw things in the frame that I didn't notice when taking that shot. Things like...actions, humans, light, angles, the sorts. Happy random stuff. And I did get my money shot. Two, in fact. ✌🏻

Till the next visit then. Bye 🇭🇰!

No comments: