Friday, November 17, 2017

Coffee in Hong Kong

N1 Coffee & Co in Tsim Sha Tsui.

As much as I wanted to check out the hip new cafes and coffeeshops that have sprouted all over Hong Kong, I didn't have that much time to sit down and chill. On most days, I made do with the coffee powder (drip) I brought along. Managed to grab a few cups to-go from two outlets of 18 Grams, and hop into a grand total of TWO NEW-TO-ME coffeeshops- N1 Coffee & Co on mainland in Tsim Sha Tsui, and of course a hip one on Cheung Chau island- Valor (啡寮).

Since I keep circling Tsim Sha Tsui, N1 Coffee & Co is the designated caffeine supply spot. Invariably, it would be a piccolo latte. Perhaps it's the time of the day or whatever, but I don't seem to want an espresso or an Americano. I love the friendly rich nutty flavors in N1’s cup of piccolo latte.

Since we also spent a fair bit of time in Cheung Chau island, we were pleased to discover Valor (啡寮) decorated in that stark white minimalistic contemporary cafe decor. What an unexpected find! The girlfriend has ordered its caffe latte and black coffee, and enjoyed them. I didn't know she was so free to go gallivant around the island! Hahahah. One fine afternoon I was free and made her take me along.

It was a hot day. The others ordered cold brews, and the girlfriend bravely ordered a coconut ice-dripped coffee. Hmmm. Too adventurous for me even though it tasted fine. I like Valor's black coffee. I drink my coffees hot though, never cold. The baristas do a wonderful job with its Ethiopia Yirgacheffe. It's my preferred flavor of beans for drip coffee, and Valor does a good one by nudging out the familiar solid and dependable flavors. ☕️

Valor (啡寮) on Cheung Chau island.

No comments: