Thursday, December 07, 2017

Advent Begins


I've never enjoyed the consumerism that marks modern celebrations of Christmas. That is not the point of Christmas to me. At this time of the year, I seek to be away from humans, to carve out greater chunks of solitude, and tend to be grumpier than usual. Basically, I go into a DGAF mode. My WhatsApp status for December reads, 'Oh do sod off.' Only acquaintances and non-consequential people will be offended. Oof.

Life throws curveballs at us, we take it and get on with the program. Often, these curveballs are kinda expected; it's not like these balls hit us blind. But we have to manage the accompanying emotional fallout. Our (the man and I) circles (think a Venn diagram) of friends and their parents battle injuries, illnesses, deaths, injustice, and senselessness. This year, solemnity and sadness tinge our consciousness even as we celebrate triumphs, little successes and love.

I begin the season with much to ponder about. Many changes afoot in 2018. Challenges aplenty. Nothing that I can't deal with because I have treasured friends standing with me. I've an odd relationship with religion and God. But faith carries me through always. I'm a pessimist and it's a mad struggle trying to balance that with a dose of optimism. Advent is a time for reflection and prayer, and redemption. Everything else for me, is problematic. :P Well, I've never been a very good student at catechism or theology classes.

[31] So you also, when you shall see these things come to pass, know that the kingdom of God is at hand. [32] Amen, I say to you, this generation shall not pass away, till all things be fulfilled. [33] Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. [34] And take heed to yourselves, lest perhaps your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting and drunkenness, and the cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly. [35] For as a snare shall it come upon all that sit upon the face of the whole earth. 
~ Luke Chapter 21, Douay-Rheims

No comments: