Saturday, December 09, 2017

Ayam Buah Keluak


We're very lucky to have friends who cook and make us gifts of food.  That day, the friends told us to come collect a portion of ayam buah keluak they had prepped for us. Woah. Could never say no to anything with buah keluak! ๐Ÿ˜

It was a very big tub. So many black nuts! The friends are incredibly generous. We split the tub into little containers to be frozen. This dish is always meant to be slowly savored. Totally hoarded it. The tub was portioned out to eat over four happy meals with brown rice and damn good sambal belado. The friends cooked this pot in 'rawon' style. As opposed to the traditional Peranakan version which contains more assam and looks more red-brown. We like nasi rawon, and appreciated the twist in using chicken for this dish with buah keluak in the bumbu paste too.

I don't think these black nuts are to be feared. It's probably more of the matter that I've never cooked with them. But I've eaten so much and enough of it to know how I can extract these flavors into a dish I'm happy with. I've been procrastinating. One day, I'll clear some head space and get down to cooking a buah keluak dish of sorts. Then it's time for me to pay it forward with gifts of decent dishes of buah keluak to the friends.

2 comments:

Su-Lin said...

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

imp said...

Indeed!