Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Khruangbin at The Projector


When I stumbled upon Khruangbin's music, I didn't realize that they are a band from Houston, Texas. They're new to me. There's a really decent 54-minute video on Youtube of their set at London's Boiler Room in October 2016 that convinced me to buy tickets to their show in Singapore.

I listened to 'The Universe Smiles Upon You' (2015) and thought they were a Thai band. Till I googled. The band is made up of Laura Lee on bass, Mark Speer on the guitar and Donald DJ Johnson on drums. The first album is heavily influenced by Thai funk from the 60s and 70s. However, their second and latest album 'Con Todo El Mundo' (2018) doesn't take much influence from Thai funk; it leans towards Middle East and Iranian soul and funk.

Went to hear Khruangbin live at The Projector. Managed to score tickets to their 7.30pm show. The second show was slated for 10pm and that would end wayyy past my bed-time. :P I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by the rather fun show in spite of them only having one four-track EP and two albums under their belt. I’m obviously partial to songs from their first album.

The trio flew into Singapore after their shows at the Seoul Jazz Festival and Bangkok. The Projector doesn’t have the best acoustics for a band, but Khruangbin and their sound engineers managed to fill up small venue with pretty okay sound. A pity that we were seated in chairs on high steps and couldn't stand up to jive. I could only bob around in my seat. The band played great music to dance to.

No comments: