Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Dreaded Teaser

There’s a relatively simple stretch I can’t quite nail because of tight quads, hamstrings and hip flexors, and likely a set of not strong-enough lower abs. Press-ups and planks are great but they can’t give you the abs and control needed for many Pilates moves. I can’t quite do it form-perfect on the Mat or the Chair. It's easier on the Reformer though. My nemesis- The Teaser.

Coming up into a Pilates Level 1 Teaser isn't an issue. I want it to go beyond Level 3. In the same vein, I can’t quite nail the forward fold either. No matter if it’s standing or seated, I can’t comfortably hug my knees. Boo. That itself is quite a stretch for me. Practising these stretches is often forgotten when I focus more on getting in the unbelievably painful quad stretches against the wall.



The recent Reformer classes at the gym keep featuring The Teaser. I inwardly groan, but doing The Teaser on the long box on a Reformer is easier than moving into it and holding it on the floor. I could make the abs work even harder and bring up the legs high. The Reformer’s resistance and straps help loads for me to be able to control the movement rather than cheat by using speed. We’ve all got weak points I suppose, and this is mine.

That night, the estate’s gym was empty at 9pm. I rarely use it. It's small and doesn't have much floor space available. Thought I would do a quick stretch before heading up for a shower and to bed, Finally managed to bring the legs up and solidly hold them for a few seconds. Yayyy. But I can’t quite kiss my knees yet or hug the legs tight without falling over. No, one shouldn't be holding on to the ankles. I was trying out something to bring the legs higher. Gotta work on it more for the next six months, along with the forward fold.

The Pilates Teaser with a slightly rounded back ready for a roll down.
I want a form closer to yoga's navasana that's all the way up, chest to knees. 

No comments: